Buffalo Chicken Beer Cheese Fondue Fries Are Like an Edible Sports Bar
Tomato Sauce Recipe
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Yield: Enough for 1 pound of pasta
- 2 pounds medium tomatoes (about 10-12), peeled and cut into large chunks [instructions below]
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and cut in half
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons minced Italian parsley
- Kosher salt
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, cut sides down, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add tomatoes (including all their juices) and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has evaporated and the sauce thickens, about 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat, scoop out onion and discard. Stir in basil and parsley and let steep for 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, pulse a few times to break up large chunks of tomato. Process it longer for a smoother sauce. You can also do this in batches with a stand blender.
- Season to taste with salt if necessary.