Fireball Whiskey Apple Pies: A Dessert Fit for a Frat Party
Cheddar-Stuffed Bratwurst on a Pretzel Bun
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 packet (7 grams) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 small cloves garlic, grated
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (plus more for dusting)
- 1 cup bread flour
- ½ cup baking soda
- Sea salt flakes
- Bratwurst sausages
- Cheddar cheese, cut into long strips
- Condiments: Spring onion, mustard, and ketchup
- In a medium-sized pot, combine the milk, water, honey, and sugar. Heat on the stove until everything has melted, and then cool the mixture to exactly 104°F.
- Add the yeast and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together the all-purpose flour and bread flour in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan greased with butter, fry the garlic until it smells sweet and looks sticky. Allow to cool completely.
- Once the yeast has bloomed and the butter is cool, add everything to the flour mixture until it feels sticky and wet. Knead in the bowl for approximately 10 minutes. The dough should be tacky and have cleaned the sides of the bowl.
- Turn out the dough onto a flour-dusted surface and shape it into a ball. Make 8 pieces, cover them with a cloth, and set them somewhere warm for approximately 12 minutes. Shape each ball into a hot dog bun.
- Cover again and let sit in the same warm place for an additional 30 minutes.
- Bring 2 liters of water to a boil and add the baking soda.
- Uncover your buns and boil the dough in batches. Flip each one after 30 seconds, and boil for an additional 30 seconds. Place them on a parchment paper-lined baking tray, sprinkle each with salt, and slash each bun lightly 3 times.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 425°F, moving the tray from the top of the oven to the bottom halfway through. Let the buns cool on the baking paper before removing.
- While the dough is in the oven, slice the bratwurst down the middle without slicing them all the way. Add the strips of cheddar and grill for approximately 10 minutes.
- Slice the buns and place the grilled cheesy bratwurst inside. Top with mustard, ketchup, and spring onions or as desired, and serve.