The Mexican-Style Grasshopper Tacos You Have to Try When You're in South Beach
Cheesy Tomato Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 (28-ounce) can plum tomatoes, peeled
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 pinches Mexican oregano
- ¾ cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup manchego cheese, grated
- ¼ cup mascarpone cheese
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Bacon grilled cheese, to dip (optional)
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook, stirring often until they become soft and translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and stir for 30 seconds before adding the flour. Stir for an additional minute and then remove the pot from heat.
- Add the tomatoes by hand, squeezing each one into smaller bits as you go, and any remaining liquid from the can. Next, add the chicken broth and half-and-half. Stir thoroughly to combine.
- Return the pot to the stove and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for approximately 15 minutes.
- Add the Mexican oregano and the cheeses. Let each cheese melt before adding the next one, and stir continuously. Season with salt and pepper, and remove from heat.
- Top with grated cheese and chives. If desired, serve with a grilled cheese sandwich on the side for dipping.