This Cheesy Tomato Soup Is the Destroyer of Colds
Everyone loves grilled cheese and tomato soup, but let's take this a step further. What if we told you it was possible to put the cheese inside the tomato soup, resulting in something heartier and bolder than basic tomato broth? Enter Ballistic BBQ's cheesy tomato soup: a mélange of manchego, mascarpone, and cheddar, gloriously melted into a sea of tomatoes. And, because there's no such thing as too much cheese, we recommend you pair this with a bacon grilled cheese for dipping. You can thank us later; for now, just watch the video.
Cheesy Tomato Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 (28-ounce) can plum tomatoes, peeled
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 pinches Mexican oregano
- ¾ cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup manchego cheese, grated
- ¼ cup mascarpone cheese
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Bacon grilled cheese, to dip (optional)
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook, stirring often until they become soft and translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and stir for 30 seconds before adding the flour. Stir for an additional minute and then remove the pot from heat.
- Add the tomatoes by hand, squeezing each one into smaller bits as you go, and any remaining liquid from the can. Next, add the chicken broth and half-and-half. Stir thoroughly to combine.
- Return the pot to the stove and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for approximately 15 minutes.
- Add the Mexican oregano and the cheeses. Let each cheese melt before adding the next one, and stir continuously. Season with salt and pepper, and remove from heat.
- Top with grated cheese and chives. If desired, serve with a grilled cheese sandwich on the side for dipping.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.