You Can Now Get Artisanal Twinkies Delivered to Your Door in NYC
Fried Caprese Bombs
- 6 golf ball-sized tomatoes
- 6 (1-inch or ½-inch-sized) fresh mozzarella balls, drained and dried
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Vegetable or canola oil, to fry
- Chopped basil leaves, to garnish
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4-5 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- ¼ cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Using an apple corer or melon baller, gently scoop out the centers of the tomatoes and discard. Carefully push a mozzarella ball or two into each hollowed tomato, being careful as to not rip the tomato itself. Repeat until all the tomatoes and mozzarella have been used.
- Pour the flour in a small bowl and pour the breadcrumbs in another. In a third bowl, beat the eggs together with the milk.
- Dip each tomato into the flour and roll, coating it evenly, then dip each into the egg mixture, followed by the breadcrumbs.
- In a high-walled, heavy-bottomed skillet, heat ½ inch of oil over medium-high heat until it reaches 350°F. Fry the tomatoes in batches, turning until each one is evenly golden brown. Using a slotted spoon, transfer tomatoes to a paper towel-lined plate to drain out any excess oil. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Make the balsamic dip: Pour the olive oil into a small, shallow pan over medium-low heat. Once warm, pour the oil into a small bowl and add the garlic, oregano, Parmesan cheese, balsamic vinegar, and black pepper.
- Sprinkle the Caprese bombs with sea salt and chopped basil. Serve warm with balsamic dip on the side.