Why Taco Bell Killed the Secret Machine That Makes 900 Tacos per Hour
The Ultimate Nachos Recipe
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Plenty (specifically, 90 nacho chips)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 package chili seasoning
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (13-ounce) bag restaurant-style tortilla chips
- 1 cup pinto bean dip or refried beans
- 8 ounces (2 cups) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces (2 cups) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup tomato salsa
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sour cream, for serving
- 1/3 cup pickled jalapeños, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 scallions, minced
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat; cook onions until translucent. Add beef and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until evenly browned. Drain excess fat. Add chili seasoning and cook for 1 minute. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spread chips out in an even layer on two rimmed baking sheets. Smear 1/2 teaspoon bean dip in the center of each chip. Sprinkle evenly with cheeses. Bake until cheese is bubbling and melted and the edges of chips are just starting to brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with beef, salsa, guacamole, red onion, sour cream, jalapeños, cilantro, and scallions. Serve immediately.