American Omelet Recipe
Total Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 1 omelet
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Fillings of choice (cheese, ham, diced peppers, etc.)
- Crack eggs into a small bowl and season with salt. Beat the eggs with a fork until the whites and yolks are thoroughly blended.
- Heat a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat for a few minutes. Add butter and olive oil. Swirl around in the pan to coat the bottom and sides.
- Once the butter melts, pour eggs into the center of the pan and stir vigorously with a silicone spatula for 5 seconds. As soon as curds begin to form, lift the pan and tilt it around until the excess liquid pours off the top of the curds and into the pan. While the eggs are still wet, top it with cheese and other toppings (don't overdo it). Leave it alone until a crust forms along the edge.
- Shake the pan gently to make sure the omelet is loose, then use your spatula to flip one side over the other into a half moon. Transfer to a warm plate and serve immediately.