Get Stuffed on This Italian Stuffed French Bread
Amp up your meatball sub with Twisted's Italian stuffed French bread. Stuff your loaf with meatballs and layer on mozzarella, basil, parmesan, and marinara. Brush the whole thing in homemade garlic butter, sprinkle on a little more cheese, and bake it for a meatball-stuffed French bread you'll want to stuff yourself with.
Italian Stuffed French Bread
- 1 loaf of bread
- For the meatballs:
- 500g minced beef
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 sprig basil
- For the layering:
- 2 balls mozzarella, sliced
- 1/2 cup parmesan, grated, plus a little more for the top
- basil leaves, a small handful
- For the garlic butter:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Mix together all of the ingredients for your meatballs with your hands and form into golf ball sized balls. Fry in olive oil until nicely browned all over. Add marinara sauce and basil and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cut a central cavity in your bread loaf and remove the insides, reserving the bread lid.
- Add half of your meatballs and sauce. Top with half of your mozzarella, parmesan and basil. Add the rest of your meatballs and sauce. Finish with the remaining cheeses and basil. Top with the reserved bread lid.
- Mix together your garlic butter ingredients, then brush all over. Sprinkle with a bit more parmesan and bake for 20 minutes.
- Bring out, slice up and serve with a little more marinara. Enjoy!