These Onion Rings Are Stuffed With Cheeseburgers
King Cake Donut Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 ¼ cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup milk, at room temperature
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- Combine flours, yeast, ¼ cup sugar, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer; mix on low for 2 minutes. Add milk and eggs; mix for another 2 minutes. Add butter, increase speed to medium; mix for 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low and continue mixing for another 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine remaining 1 cup sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Transfer dough to a floured work surface and roll it out into a rectangle. Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mixture in an even layer on the dough. Fold dough into thirds, like a brochure, and roll again. Fold dough one more time into thirds and place it on a baking sheet; refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, place dough on a floured work surface and roll it out to ½-inch thickness. Cut it with a donut cutter or cookie cutters. Place donuts back on the baking sheet, cover with a kitchen towel, and let rest in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oil to 350℉ and fry a few donuts at a time, 4 minutes each side. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 7-10 minutes.
- To make the icing, whisk together all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Once donuts are cooled, dunk them in the icing one at a time. Let the first layer harden, then dunk again. Immediately decorate donuts with purple, green, and yellow sprinkles.