Stay Classy This Winter With a Spiced Pear Tom Collins
Mac & Cheese Burger Buns
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coarse panko bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 eggs, whisked
- Canola oil for frying
- ½ pound ground beef
- American cheese slices
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ⅔ cup Parmesan, grated
- 1 cup cheddar Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup medium cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 box elbow macaroni, prepared per instructions on box
- Make The Mac & Cheese: In a large sauce pan over low heat, simmer the heavy cream until reduced by a third (the cream should lightly coat the back of a spoon). Add in Parmesan, cheddar Jack, and cheddar. Whisk thoroughly, and remove from heat. Place the cooked pasta in a large mixing bowl and pour the cheese sauce over the pasta. Season with salt and pepper, mix until well combined, and let it cool to room temperature.
- Line a 13x9 baking sheet with parchment paper, and mist with cooking spray. Pour the prepared mac & cheese onto the baking sheet and spread out evenly; cover with another piece of parchment paper. Place flat inside freezer for approximately 1-2 hours or until hard.
- Whisk the eggs in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper; in a third bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Remove the mac & cheese from the fridge. Using a 3-4’ inch burger ring, cut out 2-4 circular discs. With your hands, dip each macaroni disc in each bowl, and place on the baking sheet.
- In a large skillet, heat canola oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, fry the discs in batches, cooking the discs for approximately 2 minutes on each side until they become golden brown. Remove and set on a paper towel-lined plate to let the oil drain out.
- Make The Burgers: Place the burgers in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Cook each burger for approximately 5-6 minutes per side, or until cooked through as desired. Top with slices of American cheese, and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes before removing the burger from the skillet.
- Sandwich the burger patty between the mac & cheese buns, and serve.