How to Cut Salmon for Sushi at Home
Funnel Cake Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 16 funnel cakes, so 8 sandwiches
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup milk (I used 2%)
- ¼ cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 8 Oreos, crushed
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Your favorite vanilla ice cream
- Place the Oreos in a Ziploc bag and crush with a rolling pin or the back of a heavy spoon. Add the powdered sugar and mix together. Set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a saucepan or deep fryer. Oil should reach about 375 on a candy thermometer. To test, drop in a dollop of the batter. If it fizzles immediately and floats to the top, your oil is hot and ready to fry.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl, add all the dry ingredients and stir together to combine with a spoon.
- Add the wet ingredients and put the mixer on medium speed until a semi-thick batter is formed. You can also use a hand mixer if you don't have a stand mixer.
- If you have a funnel, use it. If you don't, you can use a ¼-cup measuring cup to make the cakes. The key to a good funnel cake is getting the batter close to the oil. Be careful, but don't be afraid -- these don't spatter when they hit the oil. You should hold the funnel or measuring cup a couple inches away from the hot oil and pour in a steady stream, making circles from the outside in. Fry for 30 seconds or so and flip. They should be golden brown and be advised that they fry up quickly.
- Remove from the hot oil with tongs or slotted spoon (gently, as these are a semi-fragile treat) and put on paper towels to drain. Sprinkle immediately with the Oreo sugar.
- Take one funnel cake and top with your favorite vanilla ice cream (any flavor, really) and close the sandwich with another funnel cake. Sprinkle with more Oreo sugar and serve!