Mexican Eggnog With Candied Bacon Is Your New Favorite Winter Drink
Sure, Christmas is over, but feliz navidad is a state of mind, right? And even if it's not, eggnog remains the perfect boozy concoction for all your wintry purposes, what with all that protein, booze, sugar, booze, spice, booze... look, you get the idea. And we even threw some bacon on it, because clearly you needed more protein/fat/happiness. Put your seasonal affective disorder in its place and follow DrinksMadeEasy's lead to wintry happiness. Watch the video to learn how.
Mexican Eggnog with Candied Bacon
Yield: 3 servings
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅛ cup almond meal/flour
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 egg yolks
- 8 ounces spiced rum
- 3 candied bacon garnishes
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 slices center-cut bacon
- Combine the milk, granulated sugar, almond meal, vanilla extract, and cinnamon stick in a large saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring constantly, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and light yellow.
- Remove the cinnamon stick from the milk mixture. Gradually whisk the egg yolks into the room temperature milk mixture.
- Return to low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat a spoon, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Add rum to the mixture and stir well.
- Transfer the mixture to a glass jar or other sealable container container, cover tightly, and refrigerate overnight (or up to 2 days) before serving.
- Prepare the candied bacon about 20 minutes before serving. Begin by preheating the oven to 350℉. Line a baking sheet with foil and set a wire rack on top.
- Combine brown sugar and ground cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Dip bacon in the cinnamon-sugar, and spread the strips evenly on the rack. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until crispy.
- Pour the eggnog evenly between 3 mugs, and garnish with a warm strip of candied bacon. Serve immediately.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.