Wine Workouts Are Just What We Need in our Fitness Routines
Mexican Eggnog with Candied Bacon
Yield: 3 servings
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅛ cup almond meal/flour
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 egg yolks
- 8 ounces spiced rum
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 slices center-cut bacon
- Combine the milk, granulated sugar, almond meal, vanilla extract, and cinnamon stick in a large saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring constantly, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and light yellow.
- Remove the cinnamon stick from the milk mixture. Gradually whisk the egg yolks into the room temperature milk mixture.
- Return to low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat a spoon, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Add rum to the mixture and stir well.
- Transfer the mixture to a glass jar or other sealable container container, cover tightly, and refrigerate overnight (or up to 2 days) before serving.
- Prepare the candied bacon about 20 minutes before serving. Begin by preheating the oven to 350℉. Line a baking sheet with foil and set a wire rack on top.
- Combine brown sugar and ground cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Dip bacon in the cinnamon-sugar, and spread the strips evenly on the rack. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until crispy.
- Pour the eggnog evenly between 3 mugs, and garnish with a warm strip of candied bacon. Serve immediately.