Stay Classy This Winter With a Spiced Pear Tom Collins
Mexican Hot Chocolate Recipe
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 8 cups
- 1/4 cup white Maseca (corn flour)
- 5 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 11 ounces (4 Taza discs) Mexican chocolate, broken into chunks
- 3 ½ ounces (1/2 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 8 ounces mezcal
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tablespoons mezcal
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine Maseca with 1/2 cup water and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Combine milk, cream, 1 ½ cups water, sugar, ancho chile, vanilla, and cinnamon in a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Turn off heat and add both chocolates. Whisk until mixture is smooth. Add the Maseca mixture and whisk until combined. Return the heat to medium. Whisk constantly until the mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Make whipped cream by combining all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisking until soft peaks form.
- Just before serving, stir mezcal into the hot chocolate.
- Pour hot chocolate into individual mugs and top with generous heaps of whipped cream.