Pancakes and Sausage on a Stick Recipe
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 ½ cups flour, plus 2 tablespoons for dusting
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 breakfast pork sausage links
- 12 wooden sticks
- 2 quarts peanut oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- In a large bowl, combine 1 ½ cups flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Whisk buttermilk, egg, and vegetable oil in a large measuring cup; pour into dry ingredients. Stir until just incorporated. Let sit for 10 minutes while you cook the sausages.
- Cook sausages in a skillet over medium-high heat, flipping often, until cooked through and all sides are browned. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and pat with another paper towel to remove excess grease.
- When sausages are cool enough to handle, place remaining 2 tablespoons flour in a shallow dish. Skewer each sausage lengthwise with a wooden stick, dredge in flour, and tap to remove excess.
- Heat a few inches of peanut oil to 375℉ in a heavy-bottomed pot fitted with an oil thermometer.
- Transfer batter to a tall glass. Dip skewered sausages in batter, coating the sausage fully but not the stick. Carefully place into the hot oil and fry 3 at a time until golden, about 2-3 minutes per side. Drain on a wire rack.
- Serve hot with warm maple syrup.