The Philly Cabbage Steak Puts a Healthy-ish Spin on the Classic Philly Cheesesteak
BBQTricks is showing us you don't need meat to make a damn good Philly cheesesteak. Instead, grill up this cabbage steak that's marinated in a soy sauce and liquid smoke mixture, then basted with some amped up buffalo sauce. Add on some grilled onions and peppers, top it all off with Cheez Whiz, and put it on an Italian roll for an unexpected spin on a Philly cheesesteak.
Philly Cabbage Steak
- One head of cauliflower
- One head of purple cabbage
- Red onion
- 4 Italian rolls
- Sweet red and green peppers
- White American or yellow cheese sauce
- For steak marinade:
- 1 bottle of light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke
- For buffalo baste:
- buffalo sauce
- 1 cup of hot sauce
- four tablespoons melted butter
- Roast the vegetable steaks over medium to high heat for fifteen to twenty minutes until softened slightly.
- Grill a slice of red onion until softened.
- Baste cabbage with additional sauce and flip. Top with grilled onions, along with green and red thinly sliced peppers. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with a white American cheese or a traditional Philly "whiz" yellow cheese sauce and serve on a crusty Italian roll.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.