BallisticBBQ shows us that you can make seriously just about anything on a grill, including this pineapple upside down cake made with pineapple rings, maraschino cherries, and macadamia nuts. Now you can use your grill to make dinner and dessert.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 1 stick butter
- 2/3 cups brown sugar
- canned or fresh pineapple rings
- maraschino cherries
- macadamia nuts
- cake batter
- Set-up and preheat your charcoal grill to 350º F.
- Heat 10” cast iron skillet with 1 stick of butter (this can be reduced).
- Then add 2/3 cups brown sugar to melted butter. Stir and spread evenly.
- Add pineapple rings (canned or fresh).
- Add maraschino cherries to each ring. Add macadamia nuts to fill in areas around rings. Add batter.
- Bake at 350º F for about 50 minutes, or until toothpick goes in and comes out clean.
- When done, place cake platter on top of cake and flip it. Leave it for about five minutes to allow melted brown sugar and butter mixture to drizzle down sides.
- Remove skillet and serve warm.
- This technique can be used on any grill. On a gas grill the user needs to make sure they are using indirect heat, with only one side lit.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.