Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 1 stick butter
- 2/3 cups brown sugar
- canned or fresh pineapple rings
- maraschino cherries
- macadamia nuts
- cake batter
- Set-up and preheat your charcoal grill to 350º F.
- Heat 10” cast iron skillet with 1 stick of butter (this can be reduced).
- Then add 2/3 cups brown sugar to melted butter. Stir and spread evenly.
- Add pineapple rings (canned or fresh).
- Add maraschino cherries to each ring. Add macadamia nuts to fill in areas around rings. Add batter.
- Bake at 350º F for about 50 minutes, or until toothpick goes in and comes out clean.
- When done, place cake platter on top of cake and flip it. Leave it for about five minutes to allow melted brown sugar and butter mixture to drizzle down sides.
- Remove skillet and serve warm.
- This technique can be used on any grill. On a gas grill the user needs to make sure they are using indirect heat, with only one side lit.