It's Worth Getting Sloppy For This Grilled Cheese Taco
Pizza Burger Recipe
Total Time: 2 hours, 45 minutes
Yield: One 12-inch pizza burger
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 cup warm whole milk
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 7 - 7 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 6 large eggs
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 pounds ground beef
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 2 ounces pepperoni
- 1/2 head of lettuce, shredded
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- Stand mixer
- 2 pizza stones or large baking sheets
- 14-inch cast-iron skillet
- Combine water, milk, sugar, and yeast in small bowl. Let stand 5 minutes until foamy.
- Combine 7 cups flour and salt in the bowl of stand mixer fitted with dough hook attachment. Add the milk mixture and mix on medium-low speed until combined. With mixer running, add 4 eggs, one at a time, waiting for eggs to become fully incorporated between additions. Add butter one tablespoon at a time until fully incorporated.
- Continue to mix on medium-low speed for 2-3 minutes. If dough appears too sticky, add flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it pulls away from sides of mixer (it will still stick to bottom). Continue kneading until dough is smooth and elastic, 5-6 minutes longer.
- Dust your hands with flour and grab the dough. On a lightly floured surface, divide the dough in half and knead each one into a ball. Place each ball in the center of its own greased pizza stone or large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let them rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Adjust racks to upper and lower positions.
- Remove plastic wrap from the dough. Whisk remaining eggs with 2 tablespoons of water and brush a layer over the entire exposed surface of the buns. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove buns from oven and brush with remaining egg wash. Return to oven, switching buns from the upper and lower racks, and bake until golden brown, 10-15 minutes longer. Transfer buns to wire racks to cool.
- Add oil to a 14-inch cast-iron skillet and spread it around with a paper towel. Set skillet over medium heat and allow to preheat for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, season the beef generously with salt and pepper.
- Increase heat to high until skillet is smoking. Add beef to skillet and press down with a large metal spatula to spread and flatten the beef until it fills the entire bottom of the skillet in an even layer. Cook until a brown crust develops on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Carefully flip the patty over with the spatula (you may need an assist from a second spatula). Cover the patty with mozzarella and pepperoni. Continue to cook the other side about 2 minutes for medium-rare.
- Cover the bottom bun with lettuce and tomatoes. Spread pizza sauce on the underside of the top bun. Transfer patty to the bottom bun. Cover with the top bun. Cut into 6 slices.