Pizza Egg Rolls Are an Entire Slice in Each Tiny Bite
You know what we like? Efficiency. However, we like pizza even MORE than we like efficiency. Which is why we're all hyped about Food Steez's pizza egg rolls, which combine two of our favorite foods in one crispy, gooey, convenient package. It's like an entire slice, but with better dough and less mess. Need we say more? Watch the video to see how it's done.
Pizza Egg Rolls
- ½ cup pepperoni, sliced in half
- 5-6 mozzarella cheese sticks
- 5-6 egg roll wrappers
- 1 cup marinara sauce, warmed
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- ½ white onion, diced
- ½ cup green bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup mushrooms, diced
- ¼ cup pitted olives
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup basil chiffonade
- ¼ cup Parmesan, shredded
- Canola oil, for frying
- In a thick-walled, large pot, heat the canola oil to approximately 350°F.
- In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, cook the Italian sausage. Once cooked through, add the bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms. Saute for 3-5 minutes until the vegetables are fragrant, and set aside.
- Place the olives, mozzarella sticks, pepperoni, and meat mixture into bowls. Lay out the egg roll dough at room temperature in a diamond shape.
- Place a mozzarella stick a few inches above the bottom corner, followed by olives, pepperoni, and the sausage mixture. Gently roll up and tuck in the sides; brush with the egg wash, and seal the edges. Repeat for the remaining egg roll wrappers.
- Gently place the finished egg rolls in the pot of oil and fry for 5-10 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy. Repeat until all of the egg rolls have been fried.
- Let the egg rolls rest on a paper towel-lined plate to drain out any excess oil. Sprinkle with basil chiffonade and Parmesan cheese.
- Serve with marinara sauce on the side.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.