Pizza Egg Rolls
- ½ cup pepperoni, sliced in half
- 5-6 mozzarella cheese sticks
- 5-6 egg roll wrappers
- 1 cup marinara sauce, warmed
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- ½ white onion, diced
- ½ cup green bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup mushrooms, diced
- ¼ cup pitted olives
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup basil chiffonade
- ¼ cup Parmesan, shredded
- Canola oil, for frying
- In a thick-walled, large pot, heat the canola oil to approximately 350°F.
- In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, cook the Italian sausage. Once cooked through, add the bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms. Saute for 3-5 minutes until the vegetables are fragrant, and set aside.
- Place the olives, mozzarella sticks, pepperoni, and meat mixture into bowls. Lay out the egg roll dough at room temperature in a diamond shape.
- Place a mozzarella stick a few inches above the bottom corner, followed by olives, pepperoni, and the sausage mixture. Gently roll up and tuck in the sides; brush with the egg wash, and seal the edges. Repeat for the remaining egg roll wrappers.
- Gently place the finished egg rolls in the pot of oil and fry for 5-10 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy. Repeat until all of the egg rolls have been fried.
- Let the egg rolls rest on a paper towel-lined plate to drain out any excess oil. Sprinkle with basil chiffonade and Parmesan cheese.
- Serve with marinara sauce on the side.