If one thing is certain, it's humanity's endless capacity for pizza-related innovation. Case in point: Someone decided it would be appropriate to create a pizza ATM, for all your late-night pizza cravings -- and for the classier lot, there's a pizza topped with 24-karat gold. But if you fall somewhere in between (read: you're a normal human being) and striving for slightly healthier dietary habits, we have a feeling you'll love these pizza-stuffed bell peppers by our friends at Food Steez. It still counts as a vegetable, and you can still get your pizza fix. Here's how to make 'em.
Pizza-Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 3 small bell peppers (1 red, 1 yellow, 1 orange)
- 12 ounces ground Italian sausage
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 14 ounces pizza sauce, of your choice
- ½ cup mini pepperoni
- ¼ cup basil, chiffonade
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 6 slices fresh mozzarella
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Dice half of a red onion. Cut the tops off all 3 bell peppers and remove seeds inside.
- In a lightly oiled saucepan over medium heat, combine the minced garlic and chopped onion. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until fragrant, and add the Italian sausage. Cook until fully browned before adding salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Coat a small baking dish with cooking oil or nonstick spray and add the hollowed out peppers. Fill each pepper ¾ of the way with the sausage mixture, followed 2 tablespoons of marinara sauce, 2 slices of mozzarella, and the mini pepperonis.
- Place the dish in the oven for 8-10 minutes (or until the mozzarella has fully melted).
- Remove the peppers from the oven and baking dish. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and basil chiffonade, and serve.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.