Shandy season might be far off in the distance, but that doesn't mean you need to wait until July to drink one. Tricking yourself into the warmer season is as easy introducing pomegranate, a prime winter fruit, into the mix. Case in point: DrinksMadeEasy's pomegranate shandy. It's damn tasty -- to the point where you'll forget there's snow outside your window. Grab your favorite pilsner or lager and watch the video above to see how it's done.
- Seeds from 1 pomegranate
- ¼ cup water
- Equal parts granulated sugar
- 3 ounces simple syrup
- 3 ounces lemon juice
- 12 ounces seltzer water
- 6 ounces pilsner or pale lager
- Lemon wedge, to garnish
- To make the homemade pomegranate syrup, combine the pomegranate seeds and ¼ cup of water in a blender or food processor. Pulse until smooth and strain out the solids to extract all the juice from the pulp. In a Mason jar or other sealable vessel, pour the juice and add equal parts granulated sugar (by volume). Shake to agitate and integrate.
- To make the sparkling lemonade, combine 3 ounces simple syrup, 3 ounces lemon juice, and 12 ounces of seltzer water. Stir gently to combine.
- To build the cocktail, combine the pomegranate syrup and lemonade in a cocktail glass. Float with beer to the rim, being careful not to let the foam overflow. Garnish with a lemon wedge and serve.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.