Taco 'Bout Tasty: Make This Pulled Pork Taco Pie Now
Making pulled pork in a slow cooker is one of the greatest life hacks known to man. Or known to apartment-dwelling man, that is. Instead of going from genius meat-hacker to boring sandwich-maker, why not try out Twisted's recipe for Pulled Pork Taco Pie? This is the savory pie topped with tortilla chips, peppers, onions, and plenty of cheese you've been craving.
Pulled Pork Taco Pie
Yield: 1 pie
- 1 2/3 cup tomato purée
- sea salt and black pepper
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp oregano
- 3 1/3 lbs pork shoulder
- 1 shortcrust pastry case
- 1/2 large bag tortilla chips
- 1/3 lb Red Leicester cheese
- 1/2 lb mozzarella
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 6 tbsp ketchup
- Shredded red cabbage, salsa, spring onions, green chilies, pickled red onion, sour cream to top
- Trim the pork shoulder of excess fat, place in a slow cooker along with the tomato purée, salt and pepper, cider vinegar, paprika, fennel seeds, garlic powder, brown sugar, chili flakes and oregano. Cook it on medium heat in a slow cooker for 6 hours or until the meat starts to fall apart.
- Roast the red peppers at 390ºF until charred. Keep the oven on.
- Once cooked, remove your pork from the slow cooker and shred. Reserve the juices, and add the mustard and ketchup (and some more seasoning if necessary), to the juices.
- Reduce the juices to a thick sauce then pour in with the pork and toss to coat thoroughly.
- Fill the shortcrust pastry case with the pulled pork, then crumble the tortilla chips on top. Now sprinkle the mozzarella and Red Leicester on top of that and bake for a further 10 minutes until melted.
- To dress the pie, add cooked peppers, shredded cabbage, green chili slices, salsa, spring onions, pickled onion and sour cream.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.