This Pumpkin Pie Bourbon and Pear Cocktail Is the Perfect Liquid Dessert
Just when we thought we couldn't love bourbon more than we already do, we stumbled across this cocktail recipe -- and it goes without saying that we're obsessed with it. This drink combines all of our favorite things -- bourbon, homestyle pumpkin pie, and sweet, crisp pears -- and the preparation is pretty simple. Sip it as a standalone libation, or try it as a digestif after a hearty Thanksgiving feast: it's the perfect liquid dessert.
Pumpkin Pie, Bourbon, and Pear Cocktail
- 1½ ounces pumpkin pie-spiced bourbon (375ml bottle of bourbon, ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice blend)
- 1½ ounces pear syrup (1 cup chopped Bartlett pears, ¼ cup sugar, ¼ cup water)
- ¼ ounce fresh lemon juice
- Splash seltzer (optional)
- Make The Pear Syrup: Add sugar and water to a small saucepan over medium heat, stir to combine, and cook until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature. Add diced pears to the simple syrup, and mash them thoroughly by hand using a potato-masher. Strain the pear mixture through a tea cloth, using your hand to squeeze the cloth in order to get all of the pear juice from the pulp.
- Make The Pumpkin Pie Spiced Bourbon: Pour ½ teaspoon of the pumpkin pie spice blend into a Mason jar, and fill it to the rim with bourbon. Shake well, seal, and store in a cool, dark space for 24 hours. Remove the spices the next day by double-straining the mixture through a coffee filter.
- Make The Cocktail: In an ice-filled cocktail shaker, combine the pumpkin pie spiced bourbon, pear simple syrup, and lemon juice. Shake from side to side gingerly, and strain over ice into a cocktail glass. Finish with a splash of seltzer (optional), garnish with a thin pear wheel, and serve.