This Riesling Hot Toddy Is Definitive Proof That Wine Fixes Everything
You already know that hot toddies are humanity's time-honored answer to the common cold. But for those of you who don't like whiskey (GET OUT.) and think wine is a more suitable alternative, this one's for you. Enter DrinksMadeEasy's riesling hot toddy: it's got brandy, honey, lemon, cardamom, and all the other good stuff -- plus wine. It's honestly more like mulled wine, but we knew you'd Google "hot toddy," so now here we are. Stop being predictable and start feeling better. Here's how it's done.
Riesling Hot Toddy
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 4 servings
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 (750-milliliter) bottle riesling or gewurztraminer
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 2 tablespoons honey, or additional to taste
- 3 whole bay leaves
- 1 lemon, halved
- 5 large lemon peels
- 4 lemon wheels, to garnish
- Toast the cardamom pods in a dry skillet over high heat, tossing often until fragrant (approximately 3 minutes). Crush with a mortar and pestle or muddle in a mixing glass.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the peels of 1 lemon, the white wine, brandy, honey, toasted cardamom pods, and bay leaves. Squeeze the juice from the lemon you peeled into the pot.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and reduce the heat to low. Steep for approximately 45 minutes while covered.
- Strain out the solids and divide the mixture between 4 serving mugs. Garnish each with a lemon wheel and serve.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.