Breakfast Bread Boats Are Here to Replace Your Bowls
Ah, bread and runny eggs: Is there anything more beautiful? Whoever had the idea to sop up all that yolky goodness with the carb of your choice, we salute you with this recipe from Food Steez. Enter the breakfast bread boat: an entire breakfast feast stuffed into one roll of French bread. Actual bowls? Forget 'em, and eat your way to cheesy, melty, breakfast-y bliss. Here's how it's done.
Breakfast Bread Boats
- 4 French rolls
- ½ pound ground breakfast sausage
- 4 eggs
- 6 cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- ½ cup spinach leaves
- 3 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Pepper and salt, to taste
- Sriracha, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Carefully hollow out the bread rolls, making sure the outside of the bread remains intact.
- Slice the mushrooms and cut the cherry tomatoes into quarters.
- In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, cook the breakfast sausage until cooked through.
- Coat the inside of the buns with butter. Add 3-4 tablespoons of breakfast sausage followed by the Cheddar cheese, sliced mushrooms, spinach leaves, and the cherry tomatoes.
- Place the rolls on a baking sheet lined with tin foil. Place in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove and crack one egg into each bread boat. Return them to the oven for an additional 4-5 minutes and until the egg whites set and cooked appropriately (the yolks should be somewhat runny).
- Remove from the oven. Drizzle with Sriracha and serve immediately.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.