This Pizza Has Fried Chicken for Crust
Skittles Wings Recipe
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Yield: 15 wing "lollipops"
- 15 chicken wing drumettes
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts peanut oil
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups (43 ounces) Skittles Original, separated by color
- Stand a drumette on its wide end and, holding the narrow bone at the top, use a paring knife to push and scrape the skin and meat downward to expose the bone and make a plump "lollipop" of chicken at the bottom. Repeat with the remaining drumettes.
- For the marinade, beat egg whites in a large bowl until light and frothy. Add beer and salt; whisk to combine. Pour half the mixture into a small bowl and set aside. Add cornstarch and baking soda to the original bowl and whisk to combine. Add chicken and coat thoroughly. Set aside.
- For the batter, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt in another large bowl. Add reserved marinade and whisk until mixture is clumpy. Set aside.
- Break down the Skittles in a food processor, one color at a time, until it looks like granulated sugar. There will be chunks, but do your best to get the candy as fine as possible. You should end up with about a 3/4 cup of Skittles dust in each color. TIP: make sure the food processor doesn’t overheat, or it’ll melt the Skittles into a paste.
- For the sauce, combine chicken stock, water, cornstarch, oil, sugar, vinegar, and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until sauce boils and thickens, about 1 minute. Divide sauce evenly into 5 bowls (3 tablespoons each). Add a different color of Skittles dust to each bowl (use a fine-mesh sieve to avoid the big clumps); stir to combine.
- Heat peanut oil to 350°F in a large, heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven attached with a deep-fry thermometer.
- Transfer chicken from marinade to batter, tossing to coat thoroughly. Use your hands to press batter into the meat for extra-crispy chunks.
- Carefully lower chicken into hot oil (you may have to cook in batches). Fry until very crispy, about 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined tray.
- Dip 3 drumettes into each sauce until thoroughly coated.
- Taste the rainbow.