These Tacos Are Made for Dunking
Smoked Stuffed Cornbread
- 1 pound of smoked pulled pork
- 1.5 cup of yellow cornmeal
- 1.5 cup of all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp of salt
- 3/4 tsp of baking soda
- 1.5 tablespoon of minced green onions (spring onions)
- 3 eggs
- 1.5 to 2 cups of buttermilk
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 1.5 cup of shredded pepper jack cheese or cheese of your choice
- 3 grilled charred jalapeño peppers
- 3 grilled charred habanero peppers (seeded before dicing)
- Mix cornmeal, all purpose flour, salt, and baking soda in a mixing bowl until well blended. Add in buttermilk, butter, eggs and green onion and mix until well blended. If too stiff, add a little more buttermilk until smooth and moist but not runny. Now add in about 3/4 of the shredded cheese and mix in well.
- In another bowl, mix pulled pork with the grilled/charred chopped peppers until incorporated well.
- Spray a mini loaf pan down with a non stick spray and fill each loaf form 3/4 of the way full with cornbread mixture and smooth out. Now bump the pan downward onto the counter a few times to settle the mixture and remove any trapped air pockets.
- In the center of each loaf start pressing the pulled pork and pepper mixture downward into the cornbread batter until you see the surrounding batter rise slightly above the stuffing. Now top more shredded cheese onto of the stuffing mixture until even with the surrounding cornmeal batter.
- Place into a 375 F degree oven or a grill/smoker on indirect heat, and cook for 25 minutes or until the cornbread is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly. Check the cornbread with a tooth pick for doneness. Remove mini loaf pan from oven or grill, and let cool for at least 5 minutes before removing individual cornbread loafs. Enjoy!
- Note: By grilling the peppers and then cooking them into the cornbread, most of the heat is punched out. This cornbread has a little kick, but more on the medium level of heat.