Bring the Heat With Spicy Popcorn Chicken & Sriracha-Mayo Dipping Sauce
Love spicy food? You're in luck, you fearless immortal. We have the perfect recipe for all your spice-obsessed snacking needs: Food Steez's spicy popcorn chicken with Sriracha-mayo dipping sauce. Drooling yet? We don't blame you. Go forth and fry until you die. Here's how to make 'em.
Spicy Popcorn Chicken with Sriracha-Mayo Sauce
- 1 pound boneless chicken tenders
- Oil, for frying
For the marinade:
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon oregano dried
- 1 teaspoon chili (or paprika) powder
- Salt, to taste
For the coating:
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the spice mix:
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoons Kashmiri chili powder
- ¾ teaspoon powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons Sriracha
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Cut the boneless chicken into 1-inch bite-sized pieces.
- Place the chicken in a medium-sized bowl, add the marinade, and coat thoroughly.
- Place the flour, buttermilk, and breadcrumbs next to each other along with the chicken.
- Lightly coat the chicken with flour, salt, and pepper. Dip it in buttermilk next, and then coat with breadcrumbs. Repeat for each piece of chicken, and keep placing them on the wire rack.
- Deep fry the coated chicken in batches until cooked through and lightly brown on the outside.
- In a small bowl, add the ingredients for the spice mix.
- Dust the fried chicken pieces with the spice mix. It’s best to do this while the chicken is hot (shortly after being removed from the fryer).
- Combine Sriracha-mayo sauce ingredients in small bowl, and stir well. Serve alongside the fried chicken.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.