Here's what we know: Barbecue sauce belongs on everything, meat is a must, and there's no wrong way to eat cheese. We also know that all of the above constitute a tried and true flavor combo, so we're really not reinventing the wheel with this recipe from Food Steez for spicy and sweet, cheese-stuffed meatballs. We just put the cheese inside the meatball instead of on top of it, and added barbecue sauce (because again, why wouldn't you?). Go watch the video to see how it's done.
Spicy & Sweet Cheese-Stuffed Meatballs
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 block Cheddar cheese, cut into nine 1-inch cubes
- Green onions, to garnish (optional)
- 1 cup hot sauce
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with tin foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Cut the cheese into 9 small cubes and set them aside.
- Combine the ground beef, Panko bread crumbs, onions, hot sauce, egg, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Roll out the ground beef and form it into a small ball. Gently make a well in the middle of the meatball and place cheese cube inside. Seal tightly and repeat with the remaining ground beef.
- Set the tray in the oven to bake for approximately 15-18 minutes.
- To make the sauce, combine the ingredients in a saucepan. Bring it to a boil over medium heat, and cook for 2 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Remove the meatballs from the oven and place them on a wire rack to cool slightly. Cover with the sauce and diced green onions. Serve.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.