Drink This Winter Bourbon Smash and Conquer Cold Weather Forever
Spinach & Artichoke Stuffed Portobellos
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 12 mushrooms (serves 4)
- 12 baby portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 shallot, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 6-ounce bag of fresh spinach
- 1 12-ounce jar of marinated artichokes, drained and chopped
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese
- 6 ounces white cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat grill to 400°F, using indirect heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to a small saucepan, melting on low-to-medium heat. Add minced garlic, cook for 30 seconds until fragrant, and add the breadcrumbs. Stir roughly for 1-2 minutes or until the mixture is well-incorporated and slightly golden. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and add bacon slices. Stir often and cook until the fat is adequately rendered and the bacon is evenly crispy. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon, and let it rest on a paper towel to blot the oil out.
- In the same skillet, combine onion, garlic, salt, and pepper, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the spinach and artichokes, stirring occasionally. Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until spinach is fully wilted.
- Reduce heat to low and add mascarpone cheese. Stir until melted, and add bacon, 4 ounces of cheddar cheese, and all of the grated Parmesan. Continue stirring until the mixture is uniform, and remove from heat.
- Place the mushrooms cap-side up on a baking sheet, brush with olive oil, and follow with 2-3 liberal pinches of salt.
- Flip each mushroom stem-side up, and stuff each one with an equal amount of the spinach sauce. Top with the remaining 2 ounces of grated cheddar, and finish with the garlic butter breadcrumbs.
- Place the mushrooms on the grill, cover, and cook with indirect heat for approximately 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and golden. Serve immediately.