Drinkable Art: Try This Stuck in the Middle Cocktail
The holidays are upon us, which means it's time to step up your décor game. If you're not ready to deck the halls just yet, practice with this cocktail recipe. The Stuck in the Middle is a drinkable work of art: a highball glass divided by a lemon wedge (hence the name), separating vibrant, homemade grenadine and vodka from a float of fresh lemon juice and sparkling apple cider, finished with a lemon twist and sprinkle of bright red pomegranate seeds. It's like an Andy Warhol print in a glass, making it the perfect drink for trendy cocktail parties or festive seasonal gatherings. Points for presentation.
Stuck In The Middle
- 1½ ounces vodka
- ¼ ounce homemade grenadine (4 ounces fresh pomegranate juice/1 whole pomegranate, 4 ounces fine granulated sugar)
- ½ ounce lemon juice
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 ounces sparkling apple cider
- Pomegranate seeds, to garnish
- Lemon twist, to garnish
- Make The Grenadine: Cut the pomegranate in half, and use a citrus juicer to extract the fluid. Try to disturb as little of the white membrane as possible. Pour the contents of the juicer (including the seeds) through a fine mesh strainer, and use a spoon to pulverize any of the seeds that did not already burst, extracting the juice. Pour the filtered juice into a Mason jar and add the granulated sugar, stirring until the latter is completely dissolved. Seal, shake, and store in the refrigerator.
- Fill a highball glass halfway with ice.
- Pour the vodka and homemade grenadine into the highball glass. Stuff a halved lemon into the glass, and pour the lemon juice and sparkling cider over it. Stir gently but thoroughly to combine.
- Garnish with a lemon twist and sprinkle of pomegranate seeds, and serve.