This Taco Casserole Is Made of Dreams (and Tater Tots)
We've said it once, and we'll say it again: Tater tots are probably your only chance of finding love. Valentine's Day is fast approaching, and while we have the utmost faith that you can charm the best of 'em, it's always a good idea to have a backup plan... by which we mean, the perfect recipe to sit at home alone and stuff your face with. Case in point: Food Steez's tater tot taco casserole. Is it a taco? Is it a casserole? Who knows, but it's damn delicious and the best way to get rid of all the 'tots you painstakingly fried in pursuit of the one. Pro tip: Your tears add more salt for optimum flavor. Watch the video to see how it's done.
Tater Tot Taco Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced finely
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 (1-ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 ears of corn, roasted on stove
- 3 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 (28-ounce) package frozen tater tots
- 1 (10-ounce) can red enchilada sauce
- Toppings: olives, cilantro, sour cream, tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and spray a 9x13-inch baking pan or dish with cooking spray. For extra crispy tater tots, bake tater tots for about 10 minutes while preparing the beef mixture; otherwise, prepare them as follows.
- In a large skillet, brown the beef and the onion. Add the garlic towards the end of the browning process and cook for 1 minute. Drain.
- Add the green chilies, taco seasoning mix, black beans, corn, and 2 cups of the cheese. Stir together to combine.
- Pour mixture into the prepared 9x13 pan or dish. Arrange tater tots on top of the mixture in a single layer.
- Pour the enchilada sauce on top of the casserole as evenly as you can.
- Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until tater tots are nice and crispy. Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of cheese on top and place back in the oven for 2-3 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Top with olives, cilantro, sour cream, and tomatoes. Serve immediately.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.