Big Boi From OutKast Introduces Cliff to Atlanta’s Food Scene
Tamarind Chipotle BBQ Ribs
- 1/2 cup paprika
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 1/4 cup ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 3/4 cups tamarind paste
- 3/4 cups chipotle paste
- 3/4 cup tequila
- 3/4 cup agave nectar
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon dehydrated onion
- rack of spareribs
- Preheat cooker to 250º.
- Throughly mix first 8 ingredients (for rub) together in bowl and set aside.
- Mix last 8 ingredients (for glaze) together in pot, bring to a boil and reduce to glaze consistency.
- Rub ribs with small amount of olive oil and season both sides with rub. Set aside and allow ribs to “sweat” through the rub.
- Place ribs on cooker (meat side up), smoking with cooking wood of your choice.
- After one hour, spritz ribs with tamarind soda. Lemon lime soda is a good substitute. Repeat this process after an additional hour. On the third hour, remove ribs to foil.
- On a sheet of foil, run a bead of the tamarind glaze down the center. Lay ribs, meat down on top of glaze. Drizzle a bead of glaze down the bone-up side of the ribs. Pour about 1 oz of tamarind soda along the side of the ribs and complete the foil wrap, making a tight package. Place foiled ribs back onto cooker, meat down.
- After one hour carefully open package and probe with a meat thermometer for tenderness. You are looking for no resistance going in with the probe and pulling out. It should feel like the probe is going into soft butter. When desired tenderness is achieved, remove ribs from foil and place back on the cooker, meat down.
- Apply a very thin layer of glaze on the bone side, flip and repeat on the meat side. This glaze is very tangy and not a lot is needed. As the ribs finish in the cooker, the glaze will become one with the rub and develop a wonderful flavor.
- After about 30-40 minutes, remove ribs from cooker and allow to rest about 10 minutes before slicing.