Big Boi From OutKast Introduces Cliff to Atlanta’s Food Scene
Tater Tot Waffle Grilled Cheese Recipe
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 (2lb) bag frozen tater tots
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4-6 slices bacon
- 1 large jalapeño, de-seeded and coarsely chopped
- 8 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 1/2-inch round waffle iron
- Preheat waffle iron to the highest setting.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, microwave tater tots for 4 minutes. Spread half the tots in an even layer on the waffle iron, but really crowd them in there. Sprinkle with half the salt. Close the iron and cook until crisp, following the manufacturer's instructions for timing, about 8-10 minutes. Transfer waffle to a wire rack and make the other waffle with the remaining tots and salt.
- While the second waffle cooks, place bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crispy. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Add jalapeño to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes in the rendered bacon fat. Transfer jalapeño to the bacon plate.
- Don’t remove the second waffle from the iron when it's done. Evenly arrange half the cheese on the waffle and top with bacon and jalapeño. Layer remaining cheese over that and place the first waffle on top. Gently press the waffle iron lid down but not all the way closed. Wait until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes, then flip the whole waffle sandwich over onto a plate.
- Cut into four and share. Or eat the whole thing yourself.