These Onion Rings Are Stuffed With Cheeseburgers
Thanksgiving Leftover Fritters Recipe
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 32 fritters
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup medium-ground cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups solid leftovers (turkey, stuffing, green beans), chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1-2 quarts vegetable oil, for frying
- Cranberry sauce and/or gravy, for dipping (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, black pepper, sugar, and cayenne.
- In a small bowl, whisk milk and egg until combined; pour into flour mixture. Stir until combined. Add the Thanksgiving leftovers and stir until evenly mixed.
- Pour oil into a large, heavy-bottomed pot until it's about 3 inches deep. Place over medium-high heat until it reaches 365°F on an oil thermometer. Carefully drop 5 tablespoons of batter into the oil. Fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown all over, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fritters to a wire rack or paper towels to drain. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve immediately with leftover gravy and cranberry sauce.