Drink This Winter Bourbon Smash and Conquer Cold Weather Forever
- 2 ounces bay leaf-infused rhum agricole (3-4 bay leaves, 2 ounces rhum agricole)
- 1 ounce lime juice, clarified (agar agar, 2 ounces lime juice)
- ½ ounce green Chartreuse
- ½ ounce bay leaf simple syrup (20-25 bay leaves, 1 cup water, 1 cup sugar)
- 3-4 dashes celery bitters
- Lime and/or fresh bay leaves, for garnish
- Clarify lime juice: In a small pot, combine 2 ounces of fresh lime juice and ¼ teaspoon agar agar, heating until the latter is dissolved. Simmer for a few more seconds, then add the mixture to 8 ounces of fresh lime juice. Stir thoroughly, and refrigerate for approximately 3 hours or until the mixture has begun to separate. Strain using a paper towel-lined mesh strainer or a coffee filter.
- Bay Leaf Simple Syrup: Bring 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of water, and about 20-25 fresh bay leaves to a simmer. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, cover, and steep for approximately 1 hour. Strain and discard solids.
- Bay Leaf Infusion: Coarsely chop 3-4 fresh bay leaves and mix with 2 ounces rhum agricole. Steep for 40 minutes to 1 hour and strain.
- To Make Cocktail: In a mixing glass filled with ice, combine rhum agricole, lime juice, green Chartreuse, syrup, and 3-4 dashes of celery bitters. If you're using clarified lime juice and prefer that the drink appear clear when served, stir the cocktail. If you'd like to take the traditional route and use regular lime juice, shake the cocktail instead. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass and garnish as desired.