Stop for the Gas, Stay for the Grub
Frito Pie With Mole Chili Recipe
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Yield: 6 cups
- 2 pounds ground beef (preferably chuck)
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ancho chili powder
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1 ½ teaspoons cayenne
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 can (28-ounce) tomato puree
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle chocolate stout beer
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 6 (2-ounce) bags Fritos
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, sliced jalapeños, minced red onion, sliced scallions, cilantro leaves
- Add beef to a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, and cook until browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer beef to a bowl but leave grease in the pan. Return pan to heat, add onion; saute until browned and tender, about 15 minutes. Add garlic and cook until soft and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add cumin, chili powder, oregano, black pepper, paprika, Worcestershire, cayenne, and salt; stir for 1 minute. Add cooked beef, tomato puree, and stout; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 45 minutes.
- Turn off heat and stir in chocolate until well combined.
- Divide chili among Fritos bags and garnish with toppings. Don't forget the spoons!