Keep Cool With Watermelon Coconut Cream Granitas
With How Sweet Eats-inspired watermelon coconut cream granita, staying cool and getting a buzz on are one in the same. Refreshing watermelon rum sherbet sits nestled between whipped coconut cream, all to be topped off with blue sprinkles and a stick of rock candy for a cool dessert that's both patriotic and pretty.
Watermelon Coconut Cream Granita
- 4 cups fresh cubed watermelon
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut rum
- 1 (14-ounce) can of full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- blue sprinkles and blue rock candy for garnish
- Add the watermelon to a blender and blend until completely pureed. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve over a measuring cup.
- Add the watermelon juice and sugar to a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until the sugar dissolves and once the liquid comes to a boil, turn off the heat.
- Pour the juice into a 9x13-inch baking dish and whisk in the rum. Freeze for 4 hours then use a fork and scrape the mixture into small icy bites. Freeze again and repeat the scraping one or two more times within the next two hours or so.
- When ready to serve, open the can of cold coconut milk and discard all of the liquid. Scoop the cream into the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high speed with a whisk attachment until peaks form, about 2 minutes
- Serve the granitas by layering a spoonful of the whipped cream, the granitas and more whipped cream. Add in stick of blue rock candy and blue sprinkles.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.