Oiji's honey butter chips
Total Time: 6-10 hours to soak potatoes, 30 minutes to cook
Yield: Serves 4
- For chips:
- 4 medium-sized baking potatoes
- Premium oil for frying
- For honey emulsion:
- 1/6 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup rich butter (high percentage of milk fat)
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- Salt to taste
- Peel the potatoes and then slice very thinly with a mandoline. Make sure to keep the thickness the same for each slice to ensure even frying.
- Soak the potato slices in water for 6-10 hours. This helps loosen the starch and will keep the slices from sticking to each other when frying.
- Rinse the slices in running water to remove excess starch and then dry the slices completely on a paper towel. Make sure all water is removed.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or deep skillet to 325 degrees. Add the slices to the oil and working batches to keep frying equal. Do not overcrowd your chips. Fry them, turning if needed, until each is a crispy, golden brown.
- Remove them from the oil; drain and cool them.
- In a saucepan, combine the honey, cayenne, butter, and brown sugar over medium heat, whisking to combine. Once the mixture is warm, melted, and fully combined, drizzle it over the chips evenly and toss them lightly to fully coat. Serve immediately.