Uber Is Giving Away Free Airport Rides Right Now. Here's How to Get Them.
It's not just airlines who jack up holiday fares till you'd swear they were in Dominican pesos. Rental car companies also know the end of the year is prime time to raise rates. And even though taxis can't charge more for a ride from the airport to grandma's, the cost of a lift from some airports to the city center (or even worse, the 'burbs) can surpass the cost of your plane ticket.
If you're flying before the end of the year, consider hitting up Uber on your airport trip. This holiday season the ride-sharing giant will offer two free rides of up to $65 each from 11 major airports. Yep, door-to-door service, on the house.
Here’s how it works:
- If you have an American Express card, link to to your Uber account.
- Go into the Promotions tab and enter the promo code "AMEXAIRPORT." If you have the new app, this is done in the Payments section.
- When you get to the airport, summon your Uber car. The app should automatically credit you $65 towards the ride. If it doesn’t, contact customer service and your charge will be adjusted.
Which airports are included?Some of the big ones. Until December 31st you can use your free rides from any of these 11 airports:
- LaGuardia Airport (LGA)
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
- Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
- Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD)
- Chicago Midway International Airport (MDW)
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
- Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
- McCarran International Airport (LAS)
- George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
- Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD)
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA)
Will this save you one thin dime on those ballooning airfares? No, it will not. But it can save you more than $100 in your holiday travel budget, and maybe allow you to buy slightly better Christmas presents for everyone this year.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.