This is what they found:
- Despite being based at perpetually fogged-in SFO, Virgin America spends the fewest weather-related minutes on the ground, at 13.5 per flight.
- The two most-delayed airlines are both regional carriers with names you only see after the words “operated by” on your itinerary. SkyWest and ExpressJet (both of whom service American Eagle, Delta Connection, and United Express) see average delays of around an hour.
- As much as you might like to poke fun at Spirit Airlines, it didn’t even crack the top five, with big names like Delta, JetBlue, and Southwest all experiencing longer weather-related delays.
And here's how the top 13 carriers break down, with the average number of minutes their flights are delayed:
13. Virgin America -- 13.55 minutes
12. Hawaiian Airlines -- 21.72 minutes
11. Frontier Airlines -- 35.86 minutes
10. American Eagle -- 41.06 minutes
9. United Airlines -- 42.25 minutes
8. American Airlines -- 44.18 minutes
7. Alaska Airlines -- 46.64 minutes
6. Spirit Airlines -- 48.58 minutes
5. Delta Airlines -- 51.01 minutes
4. JetBlue Airlines -- 51.45 minutes
3. Southwest Airlines -- 53.85 minutes
2. SkyWest Airlines -- 54.90 minutes
1. ExpressJet Airlines -- 57.52 minutes
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.
Matt Meltzer is a staff writer at Thrillist. Follow him on Instagram @meltrez1.