Bill Murray, one of the world's most precious natural resources—like crude oil or Sriracha—is a metaphysical deity who's too self-aware for our own good. Of America's 10 collective favorite movies, Bill Murray appears in 11 of them. We were once walking out of a McDonalds in Shanghai, when Murray appeared out nowhere, stole a french fry out of our hands and whispered, "No one will ever believe you."
Here are 15 Bill Murray quotes to inspire you and remind you that in fact there is still some good left in this world.
These Are the 7 Best Jim Pranks From 'The Office,' Ranked
1. "I've never made any horrible, horrible movies. If you don't ruin your reputation, you can always get work."
2. "In Japan, you have no idea what they are saying, and they can't help you either. Nothing makes any sense. They're very polite, but you feel like a joke is being played on you the entire time you're there."
3. "I'm a nut, but not just a nut."
4. "Movie acting suits me because I only need to be good for 90 seconds at a time."
5. "The first 45 minutes of the original Ghostbusters is some of the funniest stuff ever made."
6. "One of the things I like about acting is that, in a funny way, I come back to myself."
7. "The more relaxed you are, the better you are at everything: the better you are with your loved ones, the better you are with enemies, the better you are at your job, the better you are with yourself."
8. "People say I'm difficult and sometimes that's a badge of honor."
10. "I do absolutely nothing. I go home and stay there. I wash and scrub up each day, and that's it. One month I actually grew a moustache, just so I could say that I'd done something."
11. "My favorite thing about New York is the people, because I think they're misunderstood. I don't think people realize how kind New York people are. The drivers are far more considerate, they're just very aggressive."
12. "You gotta be able to play straight to play funny. If you can play straight to play funny, playing straight is not a big thing at all. Lots of so called funny people can be very good in a dramatic role."
13. "I made a lot of mistakes and realized I had to let them go. Don't think about your errors or failures, otherwise you'll never do a thing."
14. "I've had some success in movies, so I really don't think about success. You like to have it, but I'm not desperate for it."
15. "Whenever I think of the high salaries we are paid as film actors, I think it is for the travel, the time away, and any trouble you get into through being well-known. It's not for the acting, that's for sure."
Jeremy Glassis the Vice editor for Supercompressor and his favorite Bill Murray movie is all of them.