It's either really amazing or awful that a comedian has become America's most-loved and revered television anchor.
It's even more amazing (or, awful) that his biggest rival (ratings-wise, anyway) is another comedian who Stewart trained on The Daily Show for five years. Yes, Jon Stewart once said we shouldn't really take him seriously as a CNN replacement because the show that comes on after his has puppets making prank phone calls.
But, of course, we all did take him seriously and the show did begin to supplant CNN, due to Stewart's mix of poignant commentary, sharp analysis, and that classic s**t-eating grin. To top it all off, his directorial debut for Rosewater this month was met with favorable reviews. Here, then, to start your Monday, 15 of Jon Stewart's best quotes.
5. “I’ve been to Canada, and I've always gotten the impression that I could take the country over in about two days.”
6. “I am a tiny, neurotic man, standing in the back of the room throwing tomatoes at the chalk board. And that’s really it.”
7. “Many of our soldiers are stationed at Camp Coyote just south of the Iraqi border. This is how you know we have a strong army, when you can actually tell your enemy exactly where your camp is and what its name is.”
8. “If your regime is not strong enough to handle a joke, then you don't have a regime.”
13. “The Internet is just a world passing notes around a classroom.”
14. “The reason I don’t worry about society is, nineteen people knocked down two buildings and killed thousands. Hundreds of people ran into those buildings to save them. I’ll take those odds every f***ing day.”
15. "You have to remember one thing about the will of the people: It wasn't that long ago that we were swept away by the macarena."