One of the most charismatic leaders of the 20th century, this man helped the Brits through two world wars. Tough, curmudgeonly, theatrical, and often followed by a cloud of cigar smoke, Churchill was one of the greatest orators to ever step up to a podium.
Listen to him testify.
This Therapy Pig Makes Travelers Feel Better About Flying Redstate
1. "My rule of life prescribed is an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be, during, all meals and in the intervals between them." Public Domain
2. "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Public Domain
3. "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill Style
4. "I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly." Public Domain
5. "If you have an important point to make, don't try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver. Hit the point once. Then come back and hit it again. Then hit it a third time—a tremendous whack." PBS
6. "If you're going through hell, keep going." Public Domain
7. "History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it." Public Domain
8. "I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Public Domain 9. "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
And yes, that is Charlie Chaplain.
10. "He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Public Domain
11. "I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me." Public Domain
12. "Kites rise highest against the wind—not with it." Public Domain
13. "The price of greatness is responsibility." Guardian
14. "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Krishan V Patel
15. "However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." Public Domain
16. "Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Public Domain
17. "If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law." Public Domain
18. "We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out." 19. "Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put."
is an editor at Supercompressor. He is not British. Follow him on Twitter Ethan Wolff-Mann @ewolffmann.