People love apple pie, and they're apparently pretty eager to try any new and/or confounding form that it takes. So we see no reason why you wouldn't become instantly obsessed with this baked apple cocktail from DrinksMadeEasy, which takes all of your favorite things about pie (apples, cinnamon, etc., etc.) and mixes 'em up into a drink with apple brandy and bourbon. Boozing is easier than baking, right? Watch the video above to see how it's done.
The Baked Apple
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 2 apples
- 1 bottle brandy, of your choice
- 5 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup water
- ~¾ cup sugar
- 6 drops apple bitters
- 1 smoked cinnamon stick, to garnish
- Lemon twist, to garnish
- Apple peels and cocktail skewer, to garnish
- To make the apple-infused brandy, core 2 apples and chop them into small pieces. Place them in a jar or a sealable vessel and top with the brandy of your choice. Make sure the solids are submerged, seal, and let sit for several days to 2 weeks.
- To make the cinnamon syrup, combine 5 halved cinnamon sticks and 1 cup of water in a medium-sized, stainless steel pot. Cover, bring to a boil, and let simmer for 5 minutes before removing from heat. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer to extract the solids. Measure the volume and add equal parts sugar (for example, ¾ cup of cinnamon tea would warrant ¾ cup of sugar). Seal and agitate until the sugar dissolves.
- To make the cocktail, add ice to rocks glass to let it chill. Set aside.
- Combine the bourbon, apple-infused brandy, cinnamon syrup, and apple bitters in a mixing glass. Add ice and stir for 10 seconds.
- Remove the ice from the rocks glass. Smoke the end of a cinnamon stick and run it along the rim of the glass.
- Strain the cocktail into the chilled rocks glass and follow with a 2-inch ice cube.
- Fold the apple peels into a fan and poke them with the cocktail skewer. Let it rest on the rim of the glass and garnish with a lemon twist. Serve.